Sunday, May 13, 2012

Teacher Stresses

I just need to exhale and get this off my chest. I feel really disappointed today. In the US, I pride myself in being a good teacher, but not just based on what I teach or how I teach, but because I also sincerely enjoy building relationships with my students. Here, the language barrier does not limit my abilities with teaching, but rather limits my ability to communicate with my students in order to build significant relationships with them.  I can see saddness on my students' faces often. I ask them, "are you okay?" or "sad?... why?.. SMILE!" I can use simple terms but they are unable to express to me what is bothering them.  It really bothers me because I feel like I am letting them slip through my fingers if I can not be there to pick them up when they need it. I have heard some stories about some of my students having bad home lives. I want to be there for them, and I want them to know that they can talk to me and I will comfort them... but with the language barrier, it's very difficult for them to express themselves to me.  It breaks my heart when I see them cry or if they are upset and I cannot talk to them about it.  I usually just bend down near their desk and ask if they are okay, rub their back and tell them to smile... but I want to be able to do more.  I wish I could figure out a way.

                                                 
                                                                I love them.
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment