Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Smell the Roses

It's easy sometimes to let the small details of this incredible life pass us by.  If not for the reason that modern day society pushes up down the fast lane, instead of encouraging us to take our time on a road less traveled, then, in part, due to our own inability to slow down and appreciate our surroundings.  As the old saying goes, "take the time to stop and smell the roses." This phrase has been around for as long as I can remember, probably as long as my grandmother can remember, and her grandmother can remember.  Yet, we all must still be reminded.  Listening skills= KURPLUT. It's true for all of us though, is it not?  We almost need to be reminded, just as an eight year old needs to be reminded not to sit too close to the television screen (you will go cross eyed.. just like your mother always told you). We are always looking forward to what comes next, planning, contemplating (myself, a number one offender of this).  Sometimes, in doing so, we forget to appreciate the here and now.

With that said, I came to Korea with the understanding that I would only be here for a year.  One year of my entire life seems like such an incredibly tiny chunk of time in the grand scheme of things.  Naturally, I want to jam pack this year with as many minuscule or extravagant experiences and memories as possible. With this in mind, I seem to be constantly looking ahead, thinking about how I can make the most of my time here. I'm continuously looking towards the weekend when the week begins. What can I do with my free time to make sure that it will be memorable?  Sometimes, I forget that just living daily life abroad can be satisfying enough. When summer vacation was approaching- my mind was warped with ideas and thoughts about what I should spend my time doing.  How would I make the most of a two week break? Did I have the opportunity to take a trip? NOPE. Broke. Could I fly home? Not an option. Spend time with my friends? Many of them were going away.  Meet new people? Eh, too much effort. Never once did I think, "take your time," until, I did.

It dawned on me. I don't need an extravagant plan, a fortifying experience, or something sketched in stone in order to solidify a two week vacation.  I realized, I have been in Korea for six full months.  How much of the city had I really seen in that time? Had I really taken the time to appreciate Seoul for what it is [one of the largest cities in the world]?  I'd like to say that I had, because, as stated in a previous entry, senseless journeys, days of wander with no destination, and midday or midnight strolls have brought me to really appreciate this monstrous city.  However, I realized, that due to the size of Seoul, and the size of me, and although I'd felt like I'd seen a lot, when I mapped it out, I had actually not been to a lot of areas in Seoul. This understanding brought me to the conclusion that I would use my vacation as more of a "stay-cation," and I would take the time to take my time wandering through and around the city.

My two weeks consisted of me cruising down roads & city sidewalks, between buildings, up mountains, and places in between, with nothing more than a pair of walking shoes, my wallet, and a camera hanging at my neck. I did get the opportunity to spend a lot of time with some friends as well, where we too, wandered around together.  Sometimes it ended with some photos of new and interesting findings, and other times it ended with a group of foreigners wandering home slightly tipsy on a week night (when in Korea, you don't say no to soju!).  Either way, there were always some good shots involved (pun intended).

Here is a quick recap of the places I went in Seoul and the things I saw, some memories recapped, and of course, some pictures! Here's my list that I dedicate to smelling the roses!...

1. Hyewa: One evening, I made it a point to find my way back to Hyewa, where orientation was held.  I climbed the treacherous steps we had once discovered there, and waited around on a wall that I like to call "The Great Wall of Hyewa," so that I could capture a beautiful sunset sky draped over the city's sky scrappers. One of the things that I love about this spot is that it shows the city and the mountains as one.









2. Gwanghwamun Square- Considered to be the "times square" of Seoul.  Here you can see the famous statue of King Sejong, Admiral Yi Sun-Shin, a beautiful backdrop of Gyeongbokgong Palace, and Bukaksan mountain in the distance. This was perhaps one of my favorite wandering points during my two weeks off.  The day was incredible with blue painted skies.  It was so incredibly hot that they had the fountains shooting up from the ground in front of the admiral's statue. There crowds of children laughed and splashed while parents watched with joyous smiles. What a wonderful day.

a look at the square from afar
 King Sejong, Gyeongbokgong Palace, Bukaksan Mountain

 King Sejong
 Gyeongbokgong Palace


 the square, facing the opposite way
 Admiral Sun-Shin watching over the children playing






3. Dongdaemun & Namdaemun traditional markets- So they say, if you can't find it at Namdaemun market, it doesn't exist.  Namdaemun market is the largest traditional market area in Seoul.  While walking along these markets you will find everything from sumbrellas, to sports clothing, street food, shoes, books, pig's feet, oriental medicine, dried squid, and everything in between.
 Dongdaemun Gate

 Dongdaemun market
 Yes, in Korean, women carry things on their heads... usually with no hands.
 Dongdaemun Bridge
 Second hand book stores like this one lined this entire street. It was beautiful.
Namdaemun Market

4. Ttuksom Resort: Jill and I decided to adventure here one day, mostly just so we could get pictures of the cool spaceship looking architecture, while dipping our feet in the Han River. It was a beautiful day, followed by incessant eating and drinks at Sam Ryan's in Itaewon.
 Han River
 View of the city and the Han from Ttuksom
 Sitting with our feet in the Han

 Jill enjoying the day!
 Ttuksom Spaceship Shots

 Fountain wall at Ttuksom
 The Korean perception of aliens seems to differ from the American perception.
 This was just weird.
" What exactly is going on here? Not sure, let's get a picture." 

5. Soyosan Mountain: Due to the fact that the heat throughout our two week vacation was scorching and ridiculously humid, I could not find anyone to man up and take a hike with me.  Being determined Rachel, I decided to go about this journey alone.  Soyosan is the northern most part of Seoul, (closest to North Korea.. dun dun dun).  During my soyosan hike, I built some prayer rock piles, found a secluded Buddhist temple in the mountains, and sat next to some small waterfalls while taking in the scenery.
 Soyosan
 A small Buddhist shrine nestled in a small cave where people stop to pray.
 Prayer rock piles, one of my favorite Korean traditions.
 Prayer rock pile in front of a waterfall
 Archway where you ring a bell as your pass through.
 View at Mt. Soyosan

 I spy a pathway to a hidden temple!
 Buddhist temple burrowed in the moutains

 Buddha figurines left behind for prayer purposes.
 Cute elderly couple sleeping on some rocks in a naked river bed.
 Background on this picture: I originally stopped to get a picture of the man sleeping in between rocks, then found that behind him, there was a lively old woman going to town dancing alone. She can be spotted in the back left hand corner in a blue scarf.
 Korean style... this was quite interesting to observe. The stream ran down the entire length of the mountain and there was not one spot where people were not sprawled out either sleeping, sitting in the water, bathing, playing games, or eating.

6. Suwon: The clan, that I like to call my friends, decided to actually go and do something cultural one day during vacation. On the train, we ventured an entire hour and a half to Suwon, which is on the Seoul subway line but is technically just outside of Seoul.  We chose this destination because there are supposed to be some nice temples and historic sites.  Of course, due to the fact that we arrived hungry, we decided to eat barbecue first, which then also led to drinking flavored soju and makgoli. It was mostly all downhill from there. After eating and drinking, we managed our way up a massive hill, where we thought we would find some sight seeing.  Instead, we ended up lost, laying in the road while sweating, and exhausted.  Instead of venturing on, we decided that drinking in Suwon sounded like a much better idea.  We figured by subway it only cost us 3,000 won round trip, what's another trip in the future? Maybe next time we will actually do something productive.  However, this time ended with us going to barbecue, to hill from hell, to rainbow cafe, to a GS 25 where a Korean man so kindly purchased a bottle of whiskey for us (cheers to people who like foreigners).  The rest is history.
 Kim & I on the subway, destination: Suwon.
 A beautiful day in Suwon

 Holly the Makgoli Master
 Korean barbecue, flavored makgoli, & flavored soju
 Kimberly & I at barbecue.. strawberry makgoli/pineapple soju!
 Mehdi says, "We need more soju with our flavored soju."
 Cheers to summer vacation!
 Kiwi soju= delicious heaven in a pitcher.
 Holly, Chris, Mehdi, James, and Conor! 
 Suwon!
 Holly has had about enough of sun, hills, and sight seeing.

 The boys in Suwon



 Conor & Chris

A small bottle of whiskey to end the night.. thanks to a generous Korean man!

Stay-cation proved to be a success. I had some relaxing me time, some good times with friends, and some good times with the city.  I have been back to school for two weeks now and I have actually done much more over these past two weeks worth mentioning, however, I will save that for another post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment