Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Holidays in Korea


The holidays have come and gone faster than I could have expected, which is clear based on the tardiness of this update.  Time seems to be getting away from me lately.  It’s now only 36 days until I leave Korea, and although I've come to terms with that, the number is incredibly baffling. I can think back to my very first night in Korea. All the memories of the people, the places, the things, come rushing back to me like photographs in my mind and I feel as though I've blinked and allowed time to pass me by.  Although I will miss this place, I find comfort knowing that I took such a wonderful opportunity, made the best of it, and I have grown as an individual along the way.  For this year, I have been truly blessed.  I cannot begin to explain how grateful I truly am.

The holidays in Korea were not what I expected, although, I can't be sure what I was expecting.  Of course, Christmas is a universal holiday but that surely does not mean it is celebrated in the same way worldwide.  Perhaps I thought it was just going to be another day away from home.  In the beginning of December, with the awakening of Christmas carols, I have to admit, I felt a little bit sad.  I spent a good day or two, listening to carols, crying, and sulking in nostalgic memories of Christmas traditions at home. I missed sitting on the living room couch in my fuzzy socks, with my fuzzy blanket, watching National Lampoon's Christmas vacation with my family, singing "Hardy Candy Christmas," with Mom and Tara, and all the other things that bring Christmas cheer during that time of year.  I gave myself a small window of time to act like a whimp, built myself a bridge, and got over it quickly.  I came to terms with the fact that this Christmas might be different away from home and told myself it would only be as good as I made it. 

Christmas is not really a "big" holiday and is more for couples than anyone else in Korea.  Whereas we get a week off of school and a few days off of work in the states, it's just a one day celebration here. Lucky for me, I have been blessed to be surrounded by some wonderful people in Korea who made it special for me. For the past 5 months, I have been privately tutoring two students, Eun Jung (16) and Hyun Sik (18), who are brother and sister.  I have become very close to both of them, as well as their parents and in a way, I feel as though I am part of a Korean family. The Sunday before Christmas, they planned a big dinner at their father's restaurant for us before tutoring.  When I arrived at the restaurant, the kids were wearing Christmas hats and had put up tinsel around the  table where we would be eating.  There was a camera set up at the end of the table, a Christmas cake in the middle, and the lyrics to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas."  Before eating, the  children, myself, and their parents sat around the table singing "We wish You a Merry Christmas." We took a family portrait, and then went to town on the meal.  When they began to sing the English Christmas carol, I felt so special and so incredibly grateful to have these wonderful people to make me feel more at home on the holidays (their Mom doesn't even speak English!).  I have been truly blessed to have them in my life during my time here. 
Christmas collage :)

Hyun Sik and I on celebrating Christmas

Eun Jung and I celebrating Christmas

Celebrating Christmas with Mr. Kim

On Christmas Eve, Kim and I decided to spend the night treating ourselves to a nice dinner in Sinsa (my favorite area of Seoul), we exchanged gifts (I GOT A BB GUN!), shared a bottle of wine, and then decided last minute to go out and meet all of our friends at the bar.  I'm really glad that we decided to go out and meet everyone last minute.  When we arrived, it was just after midnight which made it officially Christmas day and snow had began to pour from the sky.  I have to say, it was a really nice moment being in the bar, surrounded by friends, and watching the snow fall to the ground on Christmas morning in Korea. After that night, I spent Christmas day watching Elf with Kim and Christmas night with Jason.


My BB Gun from Kim & our vino!

On the subway on the way to meet friends on Christmas Eve.

In Sinsa-dong on Christmas Eve.

Our Christmas Eve dinner... seafood pasta & wine :)

Christmas snow in Itaewon! 

White Christmas- 4am Christmas morning in Itaewon :)


On New Year's Eve, I am not regretful to say that I didn't do ANYTHING. December 31st was just "one of those days" for me.  From waking up to a broken cell phone, to falling on ice in the morning and revealing my undergarments in my dress, forgetting my lunch and not eating for 12 hours, to getting lost on the way to the phone repair store, ending up in the car with a stranger, and having a taxi cab driver get lost trying to get me home, by the time my day was winding down, all I wanted to do was cry myself to sleep. So, I spent my New Year's Eve crying in the back of a cab, talking to my mom on the phone, and falling fast asleep early.  I did however, have plans for New Years Day.  At home, I would have normally spent New Years Day with my grandmother and family, eating pork and black eyed peas for good luck, but instead I spent this year celebrating my student Eun Jung's birthday with their family.  We met early in the morning, went to see Life of Pi, ate a delicious lunch at TGI Friday's (yes- they have them here!) and then we went to norebang (karaoke), as it is her favorite.  It was a special day for her and a day well spent for me.  Once again, my Korean family to the rescue- I always enjoy and appreciate my time spent with them!


Eun Jung's birthday dinner

Hyun Sik and I singing "Call Me Maybe," at norebang.

Norebang for Eun Jung's birthday.



After the holidays passed, we began a three week English Winter Camp with some of our kiddos. I have been co-teaching with Eunhee and really loving it.  The students are different than they were for Summer Camp, so I've really enjoyed teaching the third and fourth graders that I don't know. They are absolutely adorable!  Our theme for camp was American School- each day we addressed a different subject (math, p.e., science, art, music) and taught them the material in English. We covered things from sea creatures, to musical instruments, american football, and word families.  This week is the last week of camp, and with that winding down, I will have another week of free time (no classes) and then only three weeks with my fifth and sixth graders before I'm on my way to Bangkok.  I know it is going to be extremely difficult for me to leave my kids but alternatively, I'm really looking forward to meeting the kids at the orphanage in Chaing Rai, and spending a few weeks with them. I will be landing in Bangkok in t-36 days, I will be in South East Asia for one month, and then I will be home to my loved ones thereafter.  I have so many emotions inside me- happiness, excitement, anxiety, worry, etc.  However, mostly... I'm just happy.
Sara & Lisa making their own musical instruments
from recycled materials.

김민서 on math day.

준규 & 동하 

김민서 - We made new years resolutions.
  
Our third & fourth graders getting ready to play flag football. They made the belts themselves!

준규- Everyone told me to beware
because he is the #1 trouble maker at school,
but... i really loved him!

The girls planning a play during flag football. 
It was ten degrees this day... they were troopers!

민정. She is so cute!



Here's to living the next 36 days to the fullest, cherishing the time I have with my people & students here, and making the most of everything while I still have it. :)

(Also, I'm glad the world didn't end while I was in Korea.)

2 comments:

  1. I love the last line. Yes, let's all live life to the fullest and with no regrets.

    Maybe we could follow each other on Bloglovin and/or GFC?

    Please leave me a comment on my blog and I will follow you!

    http://kstylick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete